Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Cheese Has Gone Bad!

So the drama is finally over and Brett Favre is back once again and he has signed with the Vikings. I can't say that I am surprised. In fact, I was surprised when he said no to Minnesota 3 weeks ago. I sensed that when he had the surgery to repair his biceps tendon that it was a lock he was coming back and going to the Vikings. Love him or hate him, I still think the guy deserves respect. Obviously this "drama queen" stuff is not that fun to follow, but the guy has a burning passion to play the game still and he is still better than half the QBs in the NFL even at 40 years old. Let's face it, Tavarus Jackson and Sage Rosenfels are NOT an answer at QB...even when the question becomes are they better than Favre in the last twilight of his career. Favre knows Minnesota's system and if his arm can remain healthy, then the Vikings are headed toward a good season.

For those people who want to criticize Favre and are sick of him, then just don't watch a Vikings game or tune into the coverage. So the guy just can't pull himself away from something that he loves and still feels he can do at a high level. We should all be so lucky. I will still enjoy seeing one of the greatest QBs of all time play for one more season (at least) and I am pretty thrilled that the Vikings are on the schedule this year for my hometown Ravens. That should be a really fun game to watch and we know the Vikings/Packers games this year will be crazy.

So bottom line the question becomes: how good will the Vikings be this year with Favre? To say that they are Super Bowl bound is a little too much I think. I would say at this point, a healthy and productive Favre should deliver Minnesota an NFC North title and a top 4 seed in the playoffs. I do think the NFC is more wide open than the AFC and the Vikings do have a shot at making the Super Bowl if Favre holds up. My gut feeling though is that a "story book ending" will not happen and the Vikings will fall short to someone in the Divisional or Conference Championship round of the playoffs. But whatever happens, it should be fun to watch.

The Game's Quick Hits:

- Still shocked that Tiger Woods blew the PGA Championship and his 15th major this weekend. Just goes to show you that nothing in life is a guarantee

- John Smoltz has signed with the St. Louis Cardinals. Unlike Favre, I think Smoltz should have hung them up and waited for that Hall of Fame call. I suppose if they only ask him to pitch an inning of relief at a time though, he could still hang in there.

- What in the hell is up with Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks? He was indicted on misdemeanors today, so I guess that means he did at least rough up that cabbie. A multi-millionaire beefing over 20 cents...damn LOL

- Looking forward to WWE Summerslam this weekend. Hopefully the matches will deliver and it will be a good show. I am not looking forward to Superman Cena beating Randy Orton for the WWE Championship though. Please WWE Creative, can you give us something different for a change?

- Usain Bolt is a damn freak of nature...9.58 in the 100? That is beastly...but this talk of him making an impact in the NFL potentially is a little absurd.

- I need a good smack upside the head...looks like I am losing a 9 game winning streak on ESPN's Streak for the Cash on a soccer game. When will I learn? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment